Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Christmas Reflection 2012



A Christmas Reflection

This year it was a little harder to leave work on Christmas Eve, for most of my patients it is their last Christmas they will celebrate with loved ones.  For a lot of children it will be the last one they have with one of their parents.
It reminded me of the last Christmas I spent with my Dad.  I can still recall some memories of the day.  It was 35 years ago, I was 12 years old and my brother, Rod was 8.  We woke up early, probably around 6.30, the house was quiet, as we went downstairs and sat down in the lounge, in front of our little Christmas tree.  We knew better not to disturb our parents.  Dad had been sick for so long, and so we had learnt to be extra quiet, and patient.  We quietly, planned out which presents we would open and in what order.  It was a lean year, hospital bills and limited income meant presents were down to 4 each.  We knew one was clothes, we always had one with clothes.  One was a board game we were sure of that, one was usually something we had asked for, and then there was a gift from our Aunty Joan.
After sitting quietly for what seemed like ages, we thought maybe we should make a little noise, so they knew we were waiting, after all it was Christmas Day.  So we began shaking the boxes, which we suspected had our games in.  Mum did emerge, and we asked her if we could open the presents.  But she said no, she said we could have some breakfast while we waited for Dad to get up.  There was such a routine for Dad getting up, he had very advanced illness and had become quite frail.  He shuffled to the bathroom, and then there was the insulin and blood sugar testing to be done, and he needed something to eat.
Rod and I continue to sit in the lounge room.  We loved our Dad too much to ask him to hurry.  By about 8 am, he was sitting in his chair in the lounge and it was time to open up the presents.  In a few minutes they were opened, I remember I got 2 board games, one was Mystery Date and the other was Monopoly.  Rod got Chopper Strike.   We were happy with our gifts.  By 9am, Dad was back resting in bed. 
When I think back on it now, I see so clearly he was dying, and yet he made a huge effort to spend that last Christmas watching us open our gifts.  As children, we knew our Dad was very sick, but didn’t appreciate it was our last one together.  I am so glad, that we waited to open our few presents.  What seemed like a long time from first waking up that Christmas morning was in reality such a short time.  I know my brother and I would gladly trade every other Christmas gift we have ever received to still have Dad in our lives.  For me, it was the last best childhood Christmas, it was never the same after that year.  In fact, until I had my own children, I found it a sad time of year, with a place at the table always missing. Still do some years, this is one of them.
Memories……
This year, as you celebrate Christmas, I encourage you to hug your kids and grandchildren and parents if they are still in your lives, just one extra time.  Presents are soon forgotten, and often discarded; but relationships are the precious gift God gives to us for a season of time.  Never take it for granted, because one day, it will only be a memory.

Have a blessed Christmas.
Decima

No comments:

Post a Comment