Friday, October 2, 2009

Prayer of Jabez: Reflections

Today at 12:22pm

In Feb 2008, a few of us read the book titled Prayer of Jabez and encouraged others to take up the challenge and allow God to open up doors for us as we studied this prayer together. I am amazed by all that has transpired since this time. I am looking in computer files to find the other reflections that I had written in relation to this book. But here are a couple to start with.Day 16: By My Spirit (29.2.08)Yesterday we prayed for more power. Today we read that our success is not about our ability, but about God’s power and our dependence on it. This is different thinking to what the world would tell us, that life’s outcomes depend on our ability to make things happen.Relying on God and asking for His hand to be on us is the touch of greatness. It releases God’s power to accomplish His will in our life. We do not become great, He becomes great through us. God’s power under us, in us, surging though us is exactly what turn’s dependence into unforgettable experiences of completeness. “We have this treasure in jars of clay to show this all surpassing power is from God” 2 Corinthians 4:7.The true purpose of eternity is accomplished by His Spirit as we offer up our lives to His service.Today we pray and ask God to take our earthen vessels and fill them with His Spirit, so we can pour out His power into the lives of others. Day 20: No Pride Inside (4.3.08)Yesterday we read that courage has been called the cornerstone of the virtues. We looked at the comparisons between Paul and Timothy. I do recognise a lot of Timothy’s character reflected in my own life. I can achieve nothing in my own strength as I am weak within my won insecurities. It is my dependence on Holy Spirit that I am able to rise and say “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”.Today we examine a stumbling block that has existed throughout Biblical history and is just as evident in society today, where the focus is on a self-centred lifestyle and a ‘what’s in it for me attitude’....PRIDE. “The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this, they will not go unpunished” Proverbs 16:5. God warns us that pride comes before a fall (proverbs 11:2) and that the sinful nature in all of us can easily take us down this road of destruction. We can easily slip into thinking that somehow we (using our abilities) have contributed to the great things God is powerfully doing through us. We seek praise for ourselves instead of bringing glory to God.Our desire Lord God, is to practice humility, for it is in humility that wisdom is found (proverbs 11:2). May we always remember that without you in our life, we are nothing; but with your hand on our lives, nothing will be impossible as we trust in your goodness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment